Friday, November 9, 2012

Aina's guide to thrifting

I was recently going through my closet and I couldn't believe how much I'd purchased from thrift stores. A lot of people don't like thrift store because they consider it to be "other people's junk". But most of us know the saying "one person's trash is another person's treasure." So, I'm going to post a guide on how I like to shop.

1. Try not to limit yourself. For example, if you go in and only want to look for a black cardigan, you will miss all kinds of really great things. Instead, try looking through all of the sweaters and cardigans, not just going straight for the black ones.

2. Try to find things that will match the rest of your wardrobe. (Although a thrift store is a great place to buy things if you want to experiment with a new style.)

3. Check the size, care instructions and brand labels. Duh! 

4. Check for any holes, tears, loose threads, missing buttons, stains, unpleasant smells, etc. Decide if you can live with the damage then determine if it can be easily and cheaply fixed. If not, put it back.

5. Stay away from shoes. You never know who had them before you. Did they have Athlete's Foot? A toenail fungus? Or maybe their feet just smelled bad? I always get creeped out when I see used shoes, or when I have to rent bowling shoes. That's just my personal preference though.

6. Stay away from undergarments. Yuck. Again, who knows where they came from.

7. Look through EVERYTHING! A lot of things get misplaced. You could find an adorable purse hiding in the children's section because someone decided they didn't want it and was to lazy to put it back where they found it.

8. If you think something is cute or has potential, buy it. It can always be altered. You can have it tailored to fit you body better, add or remove bows, lace, etc.

9. Many thrift stores give 20% - 50% discounts on certain days. Find out when they are and try to go then.

10. Have fun!


Here are a few of the things that I've purchased.

I thought this skirt was super cute. It's kinda lolita-ish (maybe?) and super feminine. $4



 A long red/burgundy dress. I really loved the tree pattern and it fits nicely. $9


A cute lavender purse. Perfect color for fairy kei. $4


And we've all seen these pretty sweaters with the fur trim...
(The above image was taken from here.)

Here are a couple that I found. This one caught me by surprise! I never expected to find such a gorgeous shade of pink. And the fur is even removable. I noticed a small hole in the lining of the fur trim, but no one can see it. A great find! $5

Here is another one that I found. The label reads: 79% Silk, 14% Cashmere, 6% Nylon, 1%Spandex. Because of the cashmere this is needs to be dry cleaned. And unfortunately, the fur on this one cannot be removed. But still, another great find. Cost of the sweater: $5. Cost of dry cleaning: $6.50


Adorable star shaped vase! I decided to put my make-up brushes in it. Total cost? A whopping 75 cents!


Winnie The Pooh honey jar!!!!! I haven't decided what I want to do with this yet. But I love Pooh, so I HAD to get it. Only $3


Thanks for reading. I would love to hear about some of your thrift store experiences.

<3 Aina

3 comments:

  1. AH! Such cute finds! I like the skirt!

    http://strawbewie-ba-na-na.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've actually managed to find LOTS of cute shoes and boots from thrift stores. I always disinfect them though and usually put foot powder and stuff in them before wearing them. And it takes time for them to readjust to your feet anyhow.

    The thing about sizes is that they don't always run true, especially if it's an older item. Something may be a size L but fit more like a S today. The best advice I can give on that is to just try it on and if it fits it fits!

    ReplyDelete